Search

Friday, June 09, 2006

Exclusivity

 


 

I have joined a fitness center for about three months. I can go to that club every morning, Monday-Saturday for aerobics while on Sunday I can go there for swimming. Or I also can go there for swimming everyday. Although I love swimming much more than any other sport, I do aerobics more often than swimming. The reason is really ridiculous, I don’t want to make my complexion darker coz having fair complexion is preferred in Indonesia. LOL. Besides, well, if I go swimming often, it will damage my swimsuit fast coz of the chlorine in the pool. It will result in wasting my money coz I have to buy swimsuit again and again. LOL.


I suppose fitness center is the only place where I often visit where I don’t need to bring any book. J I mostly bring books anywhere I go so that I will not be idle in case I have nothing to do. Only when going swimming on Sunday, I bring my diary or a book. Usually I linger there for about an hour after showering to wait for my hair to dry before going home.


In the aerobics time, I observe there are about twenty women coming daily. Gradually, I observe that there are some women (around five till seven) who are very close to each other but they are not that friendly to other members. They love to group, ignoring the others. They always position themselves at the front row when doing aerobics.


Some months ago, I tried to position myself at the front row coz I came early at that time. (it reminded me of college time when I always came early to be able to choose to sit at the front). However, after aerobics started, some members of that “exclusive” groups came, and position themselves in front of me so that no enough space between us. Of course it would make our movement uncomfortable. I got disturbed at that time, but I didn’t say anything. Well, it is not about life and death case anyway. LOL.


Since then on, I seldom position myself at the front row coz it seems exclusively owned by that group.


This morning, a friend of mine in that fitness club told me about her annoyance to that “exclusive” group. She asked me whether I felt annoyed too to that group. I just said that I don’t give it a damn. :)


What’s so special with being exclusive? Exclusivity can also be interpreted as marginalization. I don’t like to be put in an exclusive position with the “special” roles as the mother, wife, “the angel of the house”. They seem exclusive; however then they are also followed by some other marginalized roles: be domestic, be gentle, be womanly, be submissive, bla bla bla …


It reminds me of a teen lit novel, Princess Diaries. (I bought these novels for Angie, but I also read them LOL). In one book, Mia Thermopolis had to give a speech in front of her school friends in an event of electing the chair for students’ association. Mia “attacked” the arrogance of the exclusive gang belonging to Lana W. It made Mia win the election.
What’s so important of being exclusive? :)


PT56 11.18 090606

No comments: