Search

Monday, September 18, 2006

My experience with some students

 


In the teachers’ room. September 14, 2006


Some days ago while I was discussing something with a workmate of mine a student came to us, and then looked at me. I asked him, “Which one of us do you want to talk to?”


“You, Ms. Nana.” He answered.


“Oh, okay, what is it about?” I asked him again.


“About you Ma’am.”


“About me? What do you want to talk about me?” I inquired. 


“Hmm … I mean, I want to ask you something.” He corrected himself.


“Ok. Shoot!” 


I want to ask you about my score, Ma’am. Is that right that I got that score?”


“Oh, wait a minute. Which class did you belong to?” I wondered.


“I attended your English for Informatics class.” He responded.


That response reminded me of his attendance in that class of mine. “Oh yeah, I remember now. So, what score did you get?”


“E.”


“Fine. So what score did you expect?”


“Could you change it to be a better score?” he begged.


I felt sick with that illogical expectation.


“Hmm … don’t forget that you only attended the class two or three times for the whole semester. You didn’t do the assignment I gave the whole students. And let me tell you that you are the only student who didn’t do it. For the mid-test you only got 47. And for your final test, you got a similar score. So, what score did you expect from it?” I scorned him. 


I saw his facial expression become bitter. But, I didn’t expect that he still had guts to continue pleading, or the more suitable term is he wanted to scorn me back.


“Well, Ma’am, according to the schedule the class started at 7pm. I often already arrived in the classroom but you didn’t show up. So I left. Is that my mistake then if I didn’t attend the class? Besides as a student, I also work.”


Who did he think he was facing, huh? I felt annoyed.


“And don’t you forget you are not the only student who work. And you must know although you work, you still have full obligation to follow the regulations as students. For the schedule, I already told your classmates that I couldn’t make it at 7, so I postponed it till 7.30. And no one complained. If you wanted to complain, you came to me the first place to compromise with me about it. You were the only one who considered it as a problem. Not now, after the semester is over.”


He forced himself to smile, but very bitterly. Still, he said, “Oh well, so, I have to take this subject again next semester. For the third time!” 


HELLO????? Where did that student put his brain? His ass??? LOL. 


PT56 20.27 170906

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In a classroom, the first day of the short semester some weeks ago.

“Good afternoon students.” I greeted those 10 students sitting in front of me.
“Good afternoon Ma’am,” they replied.
“How many of you take this subject for the 

first time? And how many of you take this subject for the second time to better your previous score?”
And I found out that nine of them took the subject—English for Business—for the second time.
“Ok then. What score did you get before this?” I inquired.


“C.” the nine students answered simultaneously. 


“Oh, fine. So, the minimal score you want to get in this short semester is B, then.” I said.


“Well, Ma’am, we want to get A of course.” some of them confidently said so. 


“I said minimal B, so it means you can get A, right?” I smiled.


“Yes Ma’am.” They responded enthusiastically. “Will you help us Ma’am?” they pleaded hopefully.
“No, I will not help you. You’ve got to help yourself.” In an instant their facial expression looked disappointed.


“Well, if you really want to get an A …” I stopped in the middle. I saw their face look hopeful again. LOL. (What a naughty teacher I am. LOL.) I continued, “It means you’ve got to work hard to make it come true.”


“Aahhhh ….” They screamed disappointedly. 


Spoiled students of mine …. Huh ….   


PT56 20.39 170906

No comments: