Search

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Annoying Student

I was about to leave the teachers' room yesterday when a tone in my hp signalling that a message arrived. I opened it:

+6224702xxx: "I was so busy that made me only able coming over to campus yesterday. And I found E for my KKP lesson on the KHS. I don't know what should I do mom. Do you have any suggestion?"

My reply: "Repeat next semester. You didn't give me the result and the form from BAAK that I could fill in your score. So, no score from me. Sorry.

FYI, this particular student (btw, look at the grammatical mistake he made in the message LOL) often asks teachers' understanding for his being busy doing his business, and for that, he thinks that teachers must understand his position. Understanding him means to give him privilege. Who the hell does he think he is??? (Keluar judesnya si Nana. LOL.)

FYI (again) when the first time that particular student joined my class--Introduction to Literature--in 2003, at the beginning of the semester, I found him somewhat outstanding among his peers with his fluent spoken English. He talked a lot. But then the result of his mid-test and final-test showed that he was just an average student. His excuse was, "I don't like LIterature. What the hell is studying it for? I would prefer subjects such as "Speaking", and some others." His excuse showed that he didn't really grasp what I explained in the class. :-((

And I must say that his fluent spoken English (but bad grammar LOL) has made him confident to give private lessons outside. Having many private students boosts his confidence that he is "smart" --still without realizing that his grammar must be improved a lot.

With his considering himself as 'smart', I can feel that he somewhat underestimates the teachers here. During the process of paper consultation, he sometimes looked at me underestimatingly when I gave him some correction for his paper.

Another annoying thing is when he asked me, "What makes internet so attractive to you? Coz anytime I come to this teachers' room I oftentimes find you sit before this computer and busy internetting? I found it very boring."

I (unavoidably) related that suspicious question to the majority people who "suspect" that internet is the way for people to get one-night-stand partner. :-((

Coldly but trying to be patiently, I answered, "Oh, don't you know that internet is a very huge library? Any data you are looking for can be found here, as long as you come up with the correct keyword. Just type the keyword in the search engine, and voila ... the data you need is before your nose. So far, internet has always become my best friend in getting data and information."

Still, that annoying student looked at me disbelievably.

Huh!!! What am I supposed to do with such an annoying student?

FBS UA 10.00 270906

No comments: