Search

Friday, May 26, 2006

Myself

I write here, inspired by a mail I got from "Perempuan" mailing list, about "Reading Lolita in Teheran".
I was born in a religious family, both my parents have always done all the teachings of Islam very seriously and diligently; e.g. praying five times a day on time, fasting during Ramadhan month, reciting Al-Quran, etc. 


My parents sent me (also my big brother and my younger sister) to an Islamic elementary school. My mom said that it was coz of efficient reason since the school was located very close to our dwelling, only about 10 meters from our house. However, I also thought that it was also coz it was an Islamic school.

23 December 2011


You can imagine that my elementary school years was full of indoctrination from Islamic perspective. You can also imagine this Islamic perspective was full of gender bias; positioning women under men's superiority.


I accepted all that indoctrination thing just like it was, when I was a kid, believing that all what my teachers--also my parents--were the ultimate truth; not negotiable at all.


However, I must admit that in fact I felt a bit sad why women were degraded like that? E.g. : women must let their husband have more than one wife; women must ask for their husbands' permission to do anything while men don't need that permission from their wives. 


Ups ... in fact, I am not feeling very well today although I still go to my workplace, to finish preparing the mid-term test. Well, I can do it at home of course. However, if I go to the office, I can go online for free :D to check my mailboxes and blogs. :D


And this not-feeling-well condition made me not able to think clearly, coz once in a while I am bothered with this runny nose, but the hot temperature I feel in my head. It means, I cannot continue writing about my childhood experience--going to islamic school; brought up in a strictly Islamic parents. This background will always follow me wherever I go, until now, when I consider myself no longer a religious person anymore, but a secular.


Hope next time I can get my mood back to continue typing about this topic. :)
Ciao.

No comments: