Search

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

First daughter problem (?)

Some time ago I had a talk with my younger sister about our teenage experience. She told me some jealousies she had when both of us were still teenagers. She was surprised when I told her that I was quite envious to her too at that time. Mainly her jealousies were based on the fact that I always studied in some favorite schools. Graduating from an Islamic elementary school, I went to SMP N 1, SMA N 3, two high schools that were famous with their smart students. As far as she remembered, when our parents’ friends came and asked where we studied, they would seem amazed to know that I was studying in favorite schools in Semarang. And when they heard the name of the school where my sister was studying, they would seem astonished, and she interpreted it as, “Why there? You are not as smart as your elder sister, huh?”
Even when her schoolmates found out that I was studying in one most favorite state university in Indonesia, they jokingly asked her, “Your sister is studying at Gadjah Mada University? Why are you here?”
But then I told her that I envied her in some other things. She didn’t find any difficulty to ask our parents’ permission to let her join Pencak Silat, one traditional martial art when she was in senior high school. Compared to when I was in junior high school, I had to beg our parents to permit me. Our parents always let her join any activity, including when she needed to stay a night out of town or at school.
“It was because I insisted that they let me go. And it is okay for me to have an open confrontation. And perhaps it was also because of my hard temperament.”
“Do you think I didn’t insist? I remember one time our parents didn’t let me go with my classmates somewhere, till I cried for days, stopped talking for days, and they just kept quiet.” I complained.
My younger sister laughed.
“Well, anyway, I continued my study to college out of town. It paid all the time when I was in junior and senior high school.”
And then we laughed together.
I remember when I lived in a boarding house when I was pursuing my bachelor’s degree. I was close to one boarder. She told me how her elder sister took care of her two children. The first child, a boy, was a timid one, not really confident, because her parents were over protective. Seeing the result like that, they changed their way to bring up the second child. The second child, a girl, was a brave one, confident, and naughty because her parents often let her do anything she wanted since toddler, contradictory thing from the previous child. If they had the third child, perhaps the third child would have the combination traits. LOL.
Trial and error is applied everywhere. LOL.
PT56 12.08 160507

No comments: