Search

Monday, January 31, 2011

Be A Pseudo Teacher

Today Monday 31 January 2011 I started being an 'assistant' for two students of grade 1 and 2. They can be categorized into students who need special attention. The one in grade 1 finds it difficult to concentrate if there is no 'pseudo teacher' sitting next to him: to remind him to listen to the teacher, to remind him to do the exercises given by the teacher, as well as to encourage him to finish doing the exercises. For intellectual, he is not a weak student. The one in grade 2 needs somewhat extra 'work' from the 'pseudo teacher' since he belongs to hyperactive kid who cannot sit still for more than 5 minutes. He also needs to do 'kinesthetic' things while listening to the teacher explaining in front of the class. A teacher informed me that in fact he belongs to the smart kid -- easy to absorb any lesson the teacher gives as long as he can concentrate well. However, if his parents do not give him stimulants to remember what he gets at school, he will easily forget all lessons he has got.

Honestly at first I felt reluctant to get this assignment because it means it will reduce my time to do some preparation for other classes including making some small tests for other students. To make myself challenged, I consider it as a very interesting thing to do since I will take care of some students who need special treatment. And when I have a good mood, I can write the experience for my blog. (Just like what I am doing at the moment. )

Today, however, I only needed to assist the student in grade 1 since I had to substitute a workmate who was absent today, at the time when I was assigned to assist the student in grade 2.

My impression for my first day: well, the student of grade 1 was nice. He didn't show any hostile feeling toward me although this was the first time for both of us to interact. It was easy for me to tell him, "Hello, please listen to the teacher." or "Come on, let us do the exercise!" I didn't forget to give him appreciation to encourage him to answer the following question. (Btw, the subject was Reading Comprehension.)

I have already seen the student of grade 2 whom I have to assist. His facial expression showed big curiosity when looking at me since he must have known that my presence there was to 'accompany' him to study. He would be more challenging to 'handle' I assume.

Well, just wait for next week.

PT56 22.59 31.01.11

No comments: